The client’s total square footage is 64,500, and is spread between an eight-story office tower built in the 1990s attached to four historic townhouses built in 1887. FOX Architects was commissioned to connect the four historic townhouses, allowing the organization to expand laterally and build a new, larger conference center that supported the needs and charter of the Association. Due to the historic nature of the townhouses the project was subject to most of DC’s jurisdictional review and approval processes and boards. The FOX Architects team worked quickly to attain approval from various agencies and boards and guide the project from concept through approvals to construction.
Design solutions included the careful weaving of new functions through a historic structure. Primarily, the opening of 40’ party wall that previously separated two of the townhouses. The opening on the party wall was a significant structural accomplishment that required and obtained approval from various jurisdictional review authorities due to the historic nature of the townhouses. This new opening between the townhouses, at the ground floor level, allowed for a large, modern conferencing center within the exterior of a historical shell.
This project combined four historic 1880’s townhouses to create an interior office environment supporting 21st century needs. An original party wall structuring the two buildings was removed to permit large meeting and collaboration spaces to span both. The design solution maintained, and restored, the historic façade; however, interior spaces are new and state-of-the-art.